☆ 1st of all, this is not going to be an Art Photography Post. The Next Post will Be.
☆ 2nd of all, I will be Courteous enough to give you advanced WARNING, that IF you have any Heart Conditions, or if you Feel Like You are on the Verge of having a Stroke, OR, if you are easily “Triggered”, this isn’t going to be the Post for You!
Because MUCH OF the music, and some of the vids., in this blog post are HEAVY AS F\/©K! And also, some of the lyrics are EXTREME/VILE/CRUDE/ETC. = From one band: INFANT ANNIHILATOR (what to do…their Guitarist is in my list).
● All videos in this post are the Copyright of their respective owners and are used here only to demonstrate and teach about who are REALLY MASTERS of the Guitar in Heavy Metal, some Technical, but mostly Death Metal, genres of music.
☆ I Do Not Like Making Lists!
Yeah….So, I don’t like making lists because someone will always say, “You’re Crazy! How Could you POSSIBLY have put that guy in your list, these people are better…you’re an Idiot!” And, other crap like that. Don’t expect me to respond to those types of comments. You can have your own opinion. And, 100 Guitarists could be on my list, but this took enough time already.
⊙ Well, I’m also going DEAF, thanks to F\/©KING MÉNIÈRE’S DISEASE!
Nevertheless, until “that” may happen (become mostly deaf), someday, I still know what Great Guitar Playing sounds like. However, I have my doubts about the people at MusicRadar dot com, who came up with a “List of the 10 Best Metal Guitarists in the World Today” (Seems rather arrogant).
When I saw their list, I was thinking, “Are these people crazy?!?” Their list was more like, the “10 Most Popular Guitarists in the World”, and that is highly debatable too.
I know that my List of “BEST” Guitarists will also be debatable, but I think I am A LOT Closer to naming the “BEST” Metal/Technical/Death Metal Guitarists in the World. But you never know…..There’s probably some 5 year old in Whatchamakallit, Jerkanistan (I made that up, if you didn’t know), who is the BEST Metal Guitarist.
I have a very Dark and Sarcastic Humour inside of me, if you couldn’t tell.
So, Here is the VERY Questionable List of the 10 BEST GUITARISTS in the Universe, According to MusicRadar. (Side Note: All the Guitarists on their List are actually great Guitarists, but I DON’T think these are the “Best”):
1) Jim Root and Mick Thomson (Slipknot).
2) James Hetfied and Kurt Hammett (Metallica).
3) James ‘Munky’ Shaffer (KORN).
4) Olavi Mikkonen and Johan Söderberg (Amon Amarth).
5) Richard Z. Kruspe and Paul Landers (Rammstein).
6) Phil Sqrosso and Nick Hipa (As I Lay Dying).
7) Sean Long and Mat Welsh (While She Sleeps).
8) Kerry King and Gary Holt (Slayer).
9) Adam Dutkiewicz and Joel Stroetzel (KILLSWITCH ENGAGE).
10) Alexi Laiho and Daniel Freyberg (Children of Bodom)
(I hope I spelled everyone’s name correctly).
That is a good list, with really talented Guitarists, but it isn’t My List of the “BEST” Guitarists…but first…
I need to explain how I chose my list of the “BEST” Guitarists.
- Technical Skills.
- Proficiency of their Craft.
- Ability to Compose GREAT RIFFS, HEAVY Rhythms, EXTREME BREAKDOWNS, and Intelligent Soloing that is NOT just a bunch of Notes thrown together, and IF, it is a bunch of notes thrown together, it sounds AMAZING!
- Speed in Playing Important, but mixing with beautiful Melodies.
- HEAVY AS F\/©K Composing is Helpful!
- And a few I chose because 1) They are Great Great Guitar Players, and 2) they have Fantastic and Positive Chi (example, Jeff Loomis).
- MY LIST IS IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER AS IT IS TOO, WAY TOO DIFFICULT TO PUT THESE GUITARISTS IN ANY RANKED ORDER!
- Let’s Get Roll’en!
NOW, HERE’S MY LIST, WITH VIDEO EXAMPLES:
1) Jason Richardson (Currently with All that Remains and as a solo artist).
2) Jeff Loomis (NEVERMORE, Arch Enemy, and Solo Artist) — NEVERMORE is my Favourite Band…Period! R.I.P. WARREL DANE.
3) Josh Middleton (SYLOSIS and Architects). SYLOSIS may be my 2nd all-time favourite band.
4) Joe Haley (PSYCROPTIC) — Joe Haley is a Monster guitar player! Prepare your eardrums for a sonic wave of HEAVINESS in King-Kong-like proportions!
5) Jesse Cash (ERRA) — Insane Guitar Talent!
* Trigger Alert! LOL!
6) Eddie Pickard (INFANT ANNIHILATOR) — Not sure what to say….So many notes, yet Eddie makes them ALL sound great together! Other descriptors: BRUTAL! SHOCK-AND-AWE! DARK! SATIRICAL….CRAZY!
7) Angel Vivaldi and Cole Rolland (because one video is a collaboration): Both of these guys are virtuoso Guitarists. They can play extreme metal, classical (as in Bach) in metal style, djent…it appears they can probably play any style.
8) Lucas Mann (Rings of Saturn) — “The Husk”, pretty amazing!
9) Vogg (DECAPITATED and Machine Head). It’s Vogg! What more needs to be said? SmackDown Time!
10) Steffen Kummerer (OBSCURA): AMAZING Talent!
11) Keith Merrow (Solo Artist) — Marrow is a Great Musical Storyteller; and, he has KILLER TONE!
12) Brandon Ellis (The Black Dahlia Murder) — An all-round GREAT Guitar Player with very high compositional skills, and who always composes VERY INTERESTING sets of riffs, even including Classical Style riffs in his really heavy music. One of my Favourites on this list.